Heilmeier's Catechism07 Nov 2012
Here is a helpful set of questions to ask yourself before embarking on your next project, attributed to George Heilmeier:
- What are you trying to do? Articulate your objectives using absolutely no jargon.
- How is it done today, and what are the limits of current practice?
- What’s new in your approach and why do you think it will be successful?
- Who cares?
- If you’re successful, what difference will it make?
- What are the risks and the payoffs?
- How much will it cost?
- How long will it take?
- What are the midterm and final “exams” to check for success?
Unfortunately, I cannot guarantee that asking these questions will result in great enough work that you will get a catechism named after you.