Current Status29 Aug 2012
Here’s a brief update on several fronts.
- By all reckoning I am on the home stretch of my PhD. It’s been a long road, but models are converging, results look good, and it’s mainly a matter of finishing writing everything up to the satisfaction of my committee. I have about three months to go—definitely not time for congrats yet. There remains a soul-crushing amount of work to be done.
- During that same time, I have (what is for me) a lot of travel. I might see you in Lisbon (15WCEE), Toronto (ACI), San Francisco (ASCE Forensics), and an equal number of other places I probably can’t talk about here.
- This blog will be on hiatus until after all this. Not that any of you out there are remotely concerned about it, but I feel the pressure to write on this site. So, I’m letting myself off the hook and not worrying about it while finishing my dissertation.
- Despite my infrequency of posting, this blog is one of my favorite things that I do, and post-graduation, I am looking forward to ratcheting up the quality and frequency of posting. This may frighten you, but I have a list in OmniFocus of over 300 posts I want to write. I can’t wait until I have the flexibility to finally build this space into what I’ve always really wanted it to be.
- On that topic, when I resurface in January, this site will be running on Octopress and probably located at onlyamodel.com instead of the current eponymous url. This is an effort to simplify the site and make it a bit less pretentious, more of a blog and less of an academic website. The other big motivation there is to force myself to finally, truly learn git while working on a project I care about.
- If you stumbled onto this site in the meantime and are interested enough to subscribe via RSS, the feed will stay the same after the move.
See you on the other side. Head down, power through.